Sunday, March 25, 2012

Combining multiple databases into one

Hi all, I have a distributed database environment. I need to bring all the data from the distributed centers into one central database. I have replicated all data from the different centers into their databases at the central location, I now need to be able to view the data as if it were in a single database. I have added a field that identifies the source of the data in all the different databases. I've tried replicating from the diffenrent databases into one, but I just have a feeling there should be an easier way than having another copy of the same data in the same location.

The distributed database structures are similar.

The configuration is

Windows Server 2003
SQL Server 2000 SP4

please help anyone.I had the same issue 5 years ago but ended up redesigning whole system so all regions look at the same database. It took me a year to do this.

The draw back is slowness in remote regions. Like New York - Tokyo.

If you are on the same network you can probably link all servers and no need to replicate data just for this. I do replicate data for disaster recovery only.|||

Quote:

Originally Posted by iburyak

I had the same issue 5 years ago but ended up redesigning whole system so all regions look at the same database. It took me a year to do this.

The draw back is slowness in remote regions. Like New York - Tokyo.

If you are on the same network you can probably link all servers and no need to replicate data just for this. I do replicate data for disaster recovery only.


Bandwidth is also a problem for me and the remote centers are setup to operate in a distributed environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment