Thursday, March 29, 2012

Combining two database - best way to transfer objects and data

Hi,
I have two databases that I need to combine into one.
What is the best way to transfer all objects, data, constraints,
relationships, stored procedures, triggers, etc., from one to the other?
I'd like to set it up in a way where I can first run it on a development
environment where I can make all the necessary code changes, and then run th
e
exact same actions on the live server when the time comes.Hi
It sounds like you are not using a version control system to stored your
code? If so you would be able to extract the ddl from your version control
system and create the tables/views/stored procedures... in the new database
and it would only need a method to transfer the data. Instead you may want t
o
script the objects using the scripting options in Enterprise Manager or usin
g
DMO, make the changes and then load the data (say using BCP or DTS). You
could also use tools such as DBGhost http://www.innovartis.co.uk/home.aspx o
r
Red Gate's SQL compare http://www.red-gate.com/ to create your scripts.
Before you start you may want to make sure that the structure of your
development and live systems are the same (say using the above tools)
John
"Gal Steinitz" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two databases that I need to combine into one.
> What is the best way to transfer all objects, data, constraints,
> relationships, stored procedures, triggers, etc., from one to the other?
> I'd like to set it up in a way where I can first run it on a development
> environment where I can make all the necessary code changes, and then run
the
> exact same actions on the live server when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment