Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Combining results from 2 databases in 1 table

Hi, I hope someone will take a moment to answer my question.
I'm combining results from 2 databases. The SQL statement works fine in
Query Analyser using the full names of the database tables (db1.dbo.table1,
db2.dbo.table1). In SRS the dataset executes correctly under the data tab
when using the master table as the shared datasource.
However in the layout tab I dont have access to any of the fields in my
dataset.
Can anyone help me display the contents of the dataset in SRS.
Many thanks for taking the time to answer this.
SteveB.Have you tried clicking the refresh button on the data tab?
"fisab" wrote:
> Hi, I hope someone will take a moment to answer my question.
> I'm combining results from 2 databases. The SQL statement works fine in
> Query Analyser using the full names of the database tables (db1.dbo.table1,
> db2.dbo.table1). In SRS the dataset executes correctly under the data tab
> when using the master table as the shared datasource.
> However in the layout tab I dont have access to any of the fields in my
> dataset.
> Can anyone help me display the contents of the dataset in SRS.
> Many thanks for taking the time to answer this.
> SteveB.|||Silly oversight of mine - thanks for the help.
Is this the best method of getting data from 2 databases (on the same
server)? I assume I'd only use a linked server if the databases were on
different machines.
"David Siebert" wrote:
> Have you tried clicking the refresh button on the data tab?
> "fisab" wrote:
> > Hi, I hope someone will take a moment to answer my question.
> >
> > I'm combining results from 2 databases. The SQL statement works fine in
> > Query Analyser using the full names of the database tables (db1.dbo.table1,
> > db2.dbo.table1). In SRS the dataset executes correctly under the data tab
> > when using the master table as the shared datasource.
> > However in the layout tab I dont have access to any of the fields in my
> > dataset.
> >
> > Can anyone help me display the contents of the dataset in SRS.
> > Many thanks for taking the time to answer this.
> > SteveB.|||As far as I know, that's the best way to get data from both databases. You
might post to the sql discussions group and probably get a more informed
response there.
"fisab" wrote:
> Silly oversight of mine - thanks for the help.
> Is this the best method of getting data from 2 databases (on the same
> server)? I assume I'd only use a linked server if the databases were on
> different machines.
> "David Siebert" wrote:
> > Have you tried clicking the refresh button on the data tab?
> >
> > "fisab" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I hope someone will take a moment to answer my question.
> > >
> > > I'm combining results from 2 databases. The SQL statement works fine in
> > > Query Analyser using the full names of the database tables (db1.dbo.table1,
> > > db2.dbo.table1). In SRS the dataset executes correctly under the data tab
> > > when using the master table as the shared datasource.
> > > However in the layout tab I dont have access to any of the fields in my
> > > dataset.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help me display the contents of the dataset in SRS.
> > > Many thanks for taking the time to answer this.
> > > SteveB.

No comments:

Post a Comment